DIY Banners for St. Patricks Day
St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner, which means it’s time to grab your share of holiday business. Everybody likes a celebration, so get in on the festive mood and use it to promote your business.
First things first, when we talk about “DIY” banners, we aren’t suggesting hand-lettered banners printed or drawn on paper. Not only will such a banner wilt in the spring weather, such signage looks tacky and may even violate local ordinances or your landlord’s policies. Design your banner online instead and allow professionals to produce a high quality, eye-catching banner for your business.
1. Consider Your Business Type
St. Patrick’s Day is a huge holiday and provides tie-ins for all kinds of businesses. Here are some ideas:
- Bars and restaurants: Promote special St. Patrick’s days meals, parties and food/drink specials.
- Hair salons and spas: Announce specials on party hairstyling, manicures and makeup. Offer specials on green and gold temporary hair coloring services.
- Gift stores: Offer deals on Irish and St. Patrick’s Day themed items.
- Clothing stores: Tie in St. Patrick’s Day with new spring fashions, particularly apparel that comes in shades of green.
- Liquor stores: Offer deals on Irish whiskey and beer.
- Travel Agencies: Promote Ireland trips and tours.
- Auto shops: Offer special deals on seasonal tune-ups and inspections.
- Grocery and specialty food shops: Promote deals on corned beef, potatoes, cabbage and other Irish foods.
St. Patrick’s Day is on people’s minds, so take advantage of the opportunity to attract new customers and to encourage current customers to pay you a visit. Developing new relationships ensures steady business all year round.
2. Use Lots of Green and Gold
This is pretty much a no-brainer, but in case you need reminding, use lots of green and gold in your banner design. A white background can really let your lettering stand out, but you may also want to try a green background with white or gold lettering. Leprechauns, pots of gold, and shamrocks catch the eye and instantly communicate to viewers what your banner is about.
3. Promote Specials
Consumers are budget conscious, so use your banners to announce great deals. Don’t be afraid to put prices on your banner, particularly for food and drink specials. Low prices can inspire customers to visit your establishment instead of staying in on St. Patrick’s Day.
4. Create Indoor and Outdoor Banners
Use both indoor and outdoor banners to create excitement amongst current customers and as people who walk or drive by your business. Use large lettering and less text on your outdoor banner to attract attention. Because patrons can get closer to your indoor banner, you can use smaller type and provide more detail about your St. Patrick’s Day promotions.
5. On a Parade Route?
If you’re on a St. Patrick’s Day parade route, make sure customers know about it. For example, if you own a restaurant with outdoor seating, announce that it’s time to make reservations so that folks can dine while watching the parade. Alternately, if parking is going to be a problem, use banners to tell customers where they can park without getting a ticket.